Wednesday, May 11, 2011

In the Closet

I'm a closet Trekkie.

Or at least I was, until I wrote that first line. Now I'm just a normal Star Trek fan. And I do mean normal. I don't wear "Spock ears" to school, don't speak Klingon, and can't quote Vulcan philosophy (... not counting the proverb I included in my college essay).

I am still a fan though. With the exception of The Original Series (the show with Spock and Captain Kirk), I've seen just about every episode ever made. My favorite is DS9 (Avery Brooks is the man!), but Voyager, Enterprise, and TNG will all always have a special place in my Tivo. And, until about ten minutes ago, I was psyched for the convention coming to Boston this summer. Then I realized that, for the first time in my life, I wouldn't be home because, for the entire month of July, I'm going to be in Israel. Not that going to Israel is "bad," exactly, but more that the timing sucks.

I have never left the continental United States (the most "exotic local" I have ever visited is Ontario, Canada), and there has also never been a Star Trek convention in Boston in my lifetime. Of course, they would coincide. Not that I have any real right to complain  (I am going to Israel...), but it is disappointing.

No comments:

Post a Comment